Monday, August 30, 2010

the Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes


My responses to the book club questions for Chapters 21-35 of the Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain.

1. Do you think Tim is the one sending the money?
Yes, I think it is Tim's guilty conscience that is making him send the money to Eve. Obviously, he does not want CeeCee to know that it is him and make any efforts to contact him.

2. So far, there's been a lot of discussion on CeeCee/Eve and her choices. What choice(s) would you make differently from her?
I believe I would have come clean with Jack. Even if she was not able to tell everything, CeeCee should have been honest (from the beginning) that she did not give birth to Cory. I would have felt so guilty lying to my husband about the doctor's appointments. She knew he was thrilled about becoming a father. She robbed him of his excitement.

3. What do you like about Jack? Are there things about him that you don't like?
Ooh...I really like Jack: his confidence, his love for his car, his passion for life, his compassion for Marian, his "Cory-Dory" bag...I'm sure there are lots more!

4. What are the differences between CeeCee/Eve's relationship with Tim and Eve's relationship with Jack?
She is more mature with her relationship with Jack. She is less dependent on him which is a healthier relationship. This is her chance to be happy in life. She realizes Jack really loves her and does not have alternative motive.

5. Do you think Eve is to blame for Cory's fears? What could she do, specifically, to help Cory feel like less of an outsider?
Definitely, she's too protective with Cory. As a fairly new mother, I completely understand the need to protect your little ones. However, as your children grow there is a balance (which I'm sure is hard) that has to be maintained. I believe your first instinct is always to jump in and limit your child's disappointments...but in the long run this could create more trouble. I do agree with Eve's choice in enrolling Cory in the private school. She will have a feeling of acceptance.

6. Do you think Eve appropriately answered Cory's questions about her father? Do you think Cory will question her father more as she grows older?
Honestly, I think she did the best she could. Yes, she has not been honest with Cory but too many things have happened to come clean now about her father. She sees that it would ruin her relationship with her daughter...and this so values more than her life.

Photo via here.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I totally agree that Jack missed out on some of those doctor appointments...especially the first one. He seemed so sad he missed it. Her lies is causing him to miss out on the excitement.