Monday, August 23, 2010

the Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes


My responses to the book club questions for Chapters 11-20 of the Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain. Check out the book club here!

1. Where do you think Tim and Marty are at this point in the story?
I think they have abandoned their foolish plan...and running scared! They have realized that there is no way they are getting their sister back.

2. What were your thoughts as CeeCee was helping Genevieve deliver her baby?
How in the world did she get herself in this mess? Agreeing to babysit the governor's wife was one thing...but now delivering her baby...wow! Honestly, I barely knew where babies came from at 16...much less delivering one! I was thinking that she had to stay strong for her because I knew Genevieve must be scared to death!

3. After Genevieve died, what would you have done with her baby if you had been in CeeCee's shoes?
Even at 16 years old, I would have realized the right thing to do would be to go to the police and explain the situation. It's interesting how quick CeeCee's mind goes from not wanting to involve a pregnant woman with Tim's sister's problem to kidnapping her baby. Honestly, I thought she would have fought more to get in touch with Tim. He is the one that got her into this mess.

4. Why do you think CeeCee/Eve is still holding onto hope that Tim will come for her?
She is only 16 years old and Tim was her first (and only) love. She thinks his love for her is the same as her love for him. Honestly, everything in her life has changed and I think she believes her love for Tim is the only thing that has remained constant.

5. How do you think Eve will establish her new identity in Virginia?
I think she will be a very loving "mother" to Cory but be protective of her as well. She has given up everything for this little girl. Marian seems like a very caring woman and that is exactly what CeeCee/Eve needs right now! But CeeCee/Eve is a very smart girl (besides the whole kidnapping thing and trusting the wrong guy!)...she will make sure to have some type of success in her life...for herself and Cory. I think she believes that she owes that to Cory.

6. What do you think of CeeCee/Eve now after she has gone through with the kidnapping, the delivery of the baby, the escape, and the relocation?
I think she is stronger than she ever thought she was. I remember when I was 16, there is no way that I would be able to move and forget everyone I knew...and raise a baby. I just had a baby about 2 years ago and could not imagine going through all that when I was 16...without a husband or family. Even though CeeCee did not give birth, she had the tough job of being there the days afterward...with no preparation.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

I agree with your response to #1. I am sure they are running scared. I also assume they have no thought or concern about CeeCee.