Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Granola Bars


These granola bars are perfect when you want something sweet but healthy too!
Several years ago, I received this recipe from a lady in my bible study. We were doing a lesson on healthy eating habits for our children. However, I think I dig these granola bars more than Carter.
Sometimes when I'm feeling naughty, I add dark chocolate chips in them.

Granola Bars

2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup dried fruit (I used cranberries)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup honey
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease a 9x13 inch baking pan. I used a 9x9 inch pan because I like mine a little thicker.
  • In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, dried fruit, chocolate chips (optional) and salt. Make a well in the center, and pour in the honey, egg, oil, applesauce and vanilla. Mix well using your hands. It will be sticky! Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
  • Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting, or they will be too hard to cut.
I like to eat mine with Greek yogurt, but they are great by themselves.


No comments: